Last modified: 2020-07-18 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | espumosa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020
The municipality of Espumosa (15,240 inhabitants; 78,307 ha) is located 275
km north of Porto Alegre. The municipality is composed of the districts of
Espumosa (seat), Avelino Paranhos (est. by Municipal Law No. 168 promulgated on
28 November 1961), Campina Redonda (est. by Municipal Law No. 330 promulgated on
20 March 1966), Depósito (est. by Municipal Law No. 179 promulgated on 30
November 1961), and Volta Alegre (est. by Municipal Law No. 177 promulgated on
16 March 1962).
Espumosa was established as a district of Soledade by Municipal Act No. 2 issued on 19 September 1892. The place (lt., Foamy) was named after abundant foam formed in river Jacuí by different waterfalls. Subsequently renamed to Borges de Medeiro, the district was renamed to Espumosa by State Decree No. 7,199 issued on 31 March 1938.
The municipality of Espumosa was established by State Law No. 2,554 promulgated on 18 December 1954.
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020
The flag and arms of Espumosa are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 617
promulgated on 24 September 1971.
The municipal flag of Espumosa, designed by the heraldist Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria, shall be quartered in saltire, the green quarters being composed by four white stripes charged with red stripes, arranged two by two per bend and per bend sinister, starting from a central white circle charged with the municipal coat of arms.
§1. The style of the flag obeys the traditions of Portuguese heraldry and its inherited canons and rules, prescribing municipal flags to be divided in eight or six horizontal stripes, quartered or divided in three parts; here was adopted the quartered per saltire style, composed of stripes that start from the flag's corners and cross in center, charged with a white circle inscribing the coat of arms.
§2. The coat of arms applied on the flag's center represents the municipal government while the white circle represents the town proper as the municipal seat. The stripes symbolize the spread of municipal power all over the territory. The quarters represent the rural estates scattered over the municipal territory.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions adopted for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of Espumosa, designed by the heraldist Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria,is described as follows:
"A Samnit shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. Argent issuant from a barrage vert and surrounded by an oxen pass ant sable two electric pylons gules. The shield supported dexter and sinister by wheat and soybean plants proper crossed in base and superimposed by a scroll gules containing in letters argent the toponym "ESMPUMOSO" surrounded by the date "26. - 2(ic) - 1955".
The coat of arms has the following symbolic interpretation:
a) The Samnit shield, used to represent the arms of Arfas de Espumosa, was the first style of shield introduced to Portugal under French influence, inherited by Brazilian heraldry to evoke the colonizing race and main builder of the nation;
b) The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of coats of arms of domains; argent (silver) with eight towers, five visible in perspective, it classifies the town as of second rank or county seat.
c) Argent (silver) is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
d) Issuance from a base vert (green), the electric pylons gules (red) identify on the coat of arms the production of electric energy that yielded to Espousal the nickname of Capital of Electric Energy. The oxen pass ant sable (black) represents cattle-breeding, a source of income of the highest significance for the municipality.
e) Vert (green) is a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee, abundance and hope; green also represents the greening fields in spring promising profuse harvests; gules (red) is a symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage, valiance; sable is a symbol of moderation, austerity, prudence and wisdom.
f) The outer ornaments, wheat and soybean, represent the main products of the generous and fertile soil, which also contribute to the municipal income.
g) On a scroll gules in argent (silver) letters the identifying toponym "Espumosa" surrounded by the date of emancipation, "28 - 2 - 1.955".
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020