Last modified: 2020-07-18 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | david canabarro |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020
The municipality of David Canabarro (4,842 inhabitants in 2016; 17,491 ha) is
located 300 km north of Porto Alegre.
David Canabarro was established by Italian colonists. Known as Serra do Carreiro, the place was renamed to Sede Trente e Cinco (Seat No. 35) in 1935 and to Vila Augusto CÚsar a few years before 1950. The district of Trinta e Cinco was established by Municipal Law No. 152 promulgated in 1950.
The municipality of David Canabarro was established by State Law No. 5,196 promulgated on 28 December 1985, and inaugurated on 29 May 1966.
The municipality is named for David JosÚ Martins (1796-1867) aka David Canabarro. An officer in the Brazilian Army, Canabarro commanded an army during the Ragamuffin War. After the defeat of the revolted army, Canabarro negotiated an honorable peace and obtained that the revolted officers kept their position in the army. Canabarro served again during the Platine war (1851-&852) against Oribe and Rosas. and commanded the allied forces against the Paraguayan army on the border with Uruguay. The Duke of Caxias, who had suppressed the Ragamuffin Revolution, promoted him to the rank of Colonel commanding the 4th Field Division.
Ivan Sache, 17July 2020
The flag of David Canabarro is blue with a red off-centered cross. The
intersection of the cross'arms is charged with the municipal coat of arms
inscribed in a white disc.
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020