Last modified: 2020-07-13 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | balneário pinhal |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 12 July 2020
The municipality of Balneário Pinhal (12,493 inhabitants in 2016; 10,376 ha)
is located 100 km north-east of Porto Alegre. The municipality is composed of
the districts of Balneário Pinhal (seat), Praia do Magistério, Túnel Verde and
Pontal das Figueiras.
Balneário Pinhal was established by Francisco "Paco" Segura Garcia, owner of the Pinhal domain. He developed agriculture and established a saltern near the Rondinha domain. The town emerged around a chapel, a social center and a school. Paco also planted swamp mahoganies to line the streets of the new town; the Green Tunnel is now one of the town's landmarks. In 1950, the lands were acquired by Fausto de Borba Prates, who urbanized the beach. As an agronomist, Prates planted trees to fix the sandy areas; at the end of the 1960s, he purchased billions (sic) of slash pine seedlings from the USA, which he acclimatized and transplanted to Balneário Pinhal.
The district of Praia do Pinhal was established within Osório in 1857. Following the municipal emancipation of Tramandaí, Praia do Pinhal became the seat of the new municipality. Cidreira was established as a municipality in 1988, separating from Tramandaí, with Praia do Pinhal as a district.
The municipality of Balneário Pinhal was established by State Law No. 10,670 promulgated on 28 December 1995.
Ivan Sache, 12 July 2020
The flag and arms of Balneário Pinhal are prescribed by
Municipal Law No. 80 promulgated on 22 August 1997.
The colors of Balneário Pinhal are blue, yellow and red, representing the sea, the beaches and the courage of people during the campaign for emancipation, respectively.
The municipal flag is composed of a rectangle in proportions 14 x 20 units; on a blue field are placed a horizontal stripe and a vertical stripe, yellow and red, in the following arrangement:
§1. The horizontal stripe is distant of 5.6 units from the flag's edges, made of a two yellow stripes of 0.99 unit in width charged in the center with a red stripe of 0.74 unit.
§2. The vertical stripe, distant 2.6 units from the flag's left edge, has the same composition and proportions as the horizontal one.
§3. On the intersection of the two stripes is placed an elliptical white element, in proportions 5.45 units (horizontal) x 7.18 units (vertical), charged with the municipal coat of arms.
I. The upper section of the coat of arms features:
a) the sky, celestial blue, charged in the upper left canton with a golden yellow sun and two black flying gulls, representing summer and the local fauna, respectively.
b) the sea, dark blue, as an essential element of he municipality; on the right side, a whale's tail argent, recording the big cetaceans that beached years ago, whose remains constitute landmarks for the sea resort.
c) beaches and dunes, yellow, characteristic of the local landscape; left, the numeral "1995" argent recalling the date of creation of the municipality.
II. The lower section features, in the center, the natural tunnel formed by trees lining the access road to the municipality, surrounded left by a honeycomb and right by a wall, all yellow, representing bee-keeping and civil engineering, respectively.
§1. On each side of the shield, outside of it, a Brazilian pine ["pinheiro"], dark green, representing timber and resin as a main source of income, also the municipality's namesake.
§2. The shield surmounted by an umbrella, representing summer, left, blue, center, yellow, and right, red.
§3. Beneath the shield a white scroll outlined in black, whose points support the pines, inscribed in light green letters "BALNEÁRIO PINHAL".
https://leismunicipais.com.br/a/rs/b/balneario-pinhal/lei-ordinaria/1997/8/80/lei-ordinaria-n-80-1997-institui-os-simbolos-do-municipio-e-da-outras-providencias?q=bandeira - Leis Municipais database
Bee-keeping is recalled by 18 thematic monuments featuring the happy bee Melinha, scattered all over the town.
The Green Tunnel is composed of swamp mahoganies (Eucalyptus robusta Sm.) planted in 1937 by Francisco Segura Garcia. Originally of 2,800 m in length, the tunnel was increased to 3,500 m in 1990, when the municipality planted another 60,000 trees.
Ivan Sache, 12 July 2020