Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | tramandaí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
The municipality of Tramandaí (46,369 inhabitants in 2015; 14,357 ha) is
located 120 km north-east of Porto Alegre.
Tramandaí was officially established on 26 October 1732 by Manoel Gonçalves Ribeiro as Paragem das Conchas (Shells' Place). The town emerged on the banks of the river as straw huts built by fishers, soon joined by permanent colonists coming from Laguna.
River Tramandaí was named for Tupi-Guarani words meaning "a sinuous river", "rodent river" (for capybaras and swamp rats), or "a fishing place". The river was known under different written names: Taraman, Tramandi, Termandi, Tramando, Taramandahy, Tamandatay, and Tramandahy.
Tramandaí, then composed of 60 houses, was already known as a sea resort in 1906, equipped with two hotels, Hotel Saúde and Hotel Sperb. The Nossa Senhora dos Navigantes chapel was erected in 1908. The building of the seashore road in 1939 boosted the development of the town; in 1968, the national company Petrobrás inaugurated the Maritime Terminal Admiral Soares Dutra (TEDUT) in the port of Osório.
The municipality of Tramandaí was established on 24 September 1965, separating from Osório.
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
city page records that the municipal flag was introduced on 17 March, 1980,
through the Law of nº 397/80. This law determines that the official colors are
green, white and blue, which make up vertical bands of equal width, in the cited
order. The arms of the city must appear in the center of the flag, that is, in
the center of the white band. The Law of nº 397/80, determines the official
sizes, like the colored bands, the coat of arms, and the places for the use of
Valentin Poposki, 10 February 2006
The flag of Tramandaí is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 397 promulgated on
17 March 1980.
The flag of the municipality of Tramandaí has for official colors, green, white and blue, arranged, in this order, into three vertical stripes.
In the center of the flag's white stripe shall be placed the coat of arms of the municipality, prescribed by Decree No. 16, promulgated on 6 July 1968.
The flag's features obey the following rules.
I - The flag's width is 14 units.
II - The flag's length is 20 units.
III - The width of each part shall be 6 and 2/3 units.
IV - The coat of arms shall be of 8 units in dimension, centered on the white stripe, separated from the green and blue colors, leaving on the white stripe 3 units above the coat of arms and 3 units beneath it.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020