This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

São Nicolau, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | são nicolau |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

São Nicolau, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 5 August 2020

See also:


The municipality of São Nicolau (5,727 inhabitants in 2010; 48,533 ha) is located on the border with Argentina, 560 km north-west of Porto Alegre.

São Nicolau originates in São Nicolau do Piratini, the first reduction established by the Jesuits on 3 May 1626. Threatened by the Portuguese pioneers ("bandeirantes"), the mission was relocated in 1638 to the right bank of river Uruguai. The reduction was refounded in 1687 near its original site, when the Seven Reductions were established. São Nicolau is the only mission in Rio Grande do Sul to have been refounded this way.
The founder, Roque Gonzáles, used São Nicolau as a base for further evangelization of the region. The population of the mission increased from 3,000 in 1687 to 7,512 in 1732. The War of the Seven Reductions caused the decrease of the population to2 ,542 in 1757. When the Jesuits left in 1768, the region counted only 374 inhabitants.

Ivan Sache, 5 August 2020


Off-centered upright cross of deep red, fimbriated white, upper hoist and lower fly fields green, upper fly and lower hoist fields yellow, at the intersection of the arms of the cross a white disk bearing the municipal arms.
Valentin Poposki, 20 February 2007



Ivan Sache, 5 August 2020