Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | quatro irmãos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by António
Martins-Tuválkin, 18 August 2007
Based on: http://www.quatroirmaos.rs.gov.br/portal1/municipio/hino_brasao.asp?iIdMun=100143490 (no longer available)
The flag is vertically divided 2:3, with the hoist side panel dark blue and
the fly side panel filled with 11 horizontal stripes, orange and white, the
former slightly thicker. Over all a white vertically elongated ellipse with the
full coat of arms and at the upper hoist a vertical row of four orange
The coat of arms is an oginal shield with four orange five-pointed stars on a blue chief, which blends into a an orange background. This is the sky for a farming scene, complete with cow, fence and tractor. Mural crown with three visible towers, shield flanked by an ear of wheat at dexter and maize at sinister, and scroll orange scroll with motto "Quatro Irmãos - 1996" in blue san serif capitals.
"Quatro irmãos" means "four brothers" and probably the four stars stand for them. According to http://www.quatroirmaos.rs.gov.br/portal1/municipio/historia.asp?iIdMun=100143490, these were four brothers of the Santos Pacheco family, who owned a lot of local estate in 1909. Their land was brought in 1909 by the Jewish Colonization Association and the first colonizers arrived in 1911, coming from Argentina, and later from Bessarabia and other parts of Russia. The community thrived and attracted other immigrants till after WWII, when the local araucaria sawmills closed and the economy collapsed. Quatro Irmãos become an almost abandoned town but was revived in the late 1990ies. More at http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatro_Irm%C3%A3os.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 18 August 2007
The flag of Quatro Irmãos is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 25 promulgated
on 20 March 2001.
The flag of the municipality of Quatro Irmãos is rectangular, in dimensions 90 cm in width on 1.30 m in length. The left half, blue with four golden stars in upper canton, representing the pioneers who colonized the municipality; the right half, white and golden horizontal stripes, charged in the center with a circumference featuring the coat of arms of the municipality of Quatro Irmãos.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Quatro Irmãos is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 24 promulgated on 20 March 2001.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Quatro Irmãos has the following characteristics.
- A shield composed of a quadrilateral with rounded-off lower angles.
- A three-towered crown symbolizing territorial sovereignty.
- In the quadrilateral's base four stars symbolizing the pioneers who colonized the municipality.
- The blue sky, symbolizing pure air, mixed with the golden sun, a symbol of prosperity.
- A Brazilian pine, representing the native tree as the symbol of the first industry and, most of all, the need to preserve the environment.
- A bovine symbolizing cattle-breeding.
- A circle symbolizing property rights.
- Green symbolizing life, made possible by plants and water.
- A tractor and a man, symbolizing man working to transform rough stuff into food.
- The Torah, as the Hebraic symbol of man's duties to God represented here, whatever the religion.
- The name representing municipal unity and date of foundation.
- Surrounding the quadrilateral, wheat and maize, as symbols of agriculture.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 2 August 2020