Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | porto alegre | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Joseph McMillan
The flag of Porto Alegre was approved on 12 July 1974 by law no. 3893. It is white
with the coat of arms of the city on the center. The coat of arms dates from 1953,
when it was approved by law no. 1030 of 22 January. It is divided per fess into three
fields. The first is gold with the cross of the Portuguese Order of Christ, commemorating
the Portuguese discoveries carried out under that emblem. The second is blue with the
colonial city gate built in 1773. The third is green with the caravel Nossa Senhora
da Alminha, which brought the first settlers to Porto Alegre in 1751. The colors
are also ascribed their own symbolism: gold for fidelity, blue for the sky, green for
the waters and fields of the "sacred gaúcho soil," red for faith and love,
and silver for serenity and nobility. The colors selected are also those that appear
in the national (green, yellow, blue, and white) and
(green, red, and yellow) flags.
The scroll above the shield and crown reads, Leal e Valoroso Cidade de
Porto Alegre, or "Loyal and Valorous City of Porto Alegre," a title given by
Emperor Dom Pedro II in 1841 for the city's loyalty to the throne during the
Source: Porto Alegre page of www.citybrazil.com.
Joseph McMillan, 22 March 2002
The flag of Porto Alegre is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 3,893 promulgated
on 12 July 1974.
The flag of the municipality of Porto Alegre shall be plain white, charged in the center with the coat of arms of the town of Porto Alegre established by Municipal Law No. 1,030 promulgated on 22 January 1953.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Porto Alegre is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,030 promulgated on 22 January 1953.
A Portuguese shield, divided per fess or, azure and vert (green). In chief, on a field or, a Cross of Christ gules (red) filled or; in the center on a field azure the old Town Gate, stylized or, standing on an outline or representing the soil, with an open door azure; in base, on a field vert (green) an old caravel or from the times of settlement of Porto Alegre with one of the greater sails fully displayed and the other furled and two smaller sails in bow and prow.
The shield surmounted by a five-towered mural crown or and a scroll gules (red) with the writing in black letters of the title granted to the town by Imperial Decree No. 103 issued on 19 October 1841 "LEAL E VALEROSA CIDADE DE PORTO ALEGRE".
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 2 August 2020