Last modified: 2012-03-17 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | nova aurora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Horizontally divided blue over green, with a rising golden sun with wavy rays.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 3 September 2011
The municipality of Nova Aurora (11,871 inhabitants in 2010; 474 ha) is located
in western Paraná, 570 km of Curitiba. Nova Aurora was settled in the 1940s
during the "March to the West" campaign promoted by President of the
Republic Getúlio Vargas (1882-1954; President, 1930-1945; 1951-1954). The
name of the place (lit., "New Dawn") was coined in the early 1950s by Father
Luiz Bernardes, parish priest of Corbélia, during the celebration of a mass.
The District of New Aurora was established by State Law No. 177 of 26
September 1961. The municipality of Nova Aurora was established by State Law
No. 5,643 of 25 September 1967, from parts of the municipalities of Cascavel
and Formosa do Oeste, and inaugurated on 11 December 1968.
The flag of Aurora, 14 units x 20 units in size, is divided into two unequal horizontal stripes. The upper, bigger stripe is sky blue with a golden-yellow rising sun, while the lower, smaller stripe is spring green. The sun, centered, has 16 rays, in turn straight and wavy. The upper stripe represents the sky, while the rising sun symbolizes a new dawn ("nova aurora"), the namesake of the municipality. The green stripe symbolizes the big green regions today nearly completely cropped with soybeans, the main source of income of the local municipalities. Construction details are given, but they are hardly intelligible since the matching construction sheet is not shown.
The flag is indeed a banner of the municipal arms, chief, crown, supporters and scroll excluded.
Ivan Sache, 20 February 2012