Last modified: 2020-07-04 by rick wyatt
Keywords: new york | west seneca | erie county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
On March 4, 1963 the West Seneca Town Board authorized the creation of an official town flag with an insignia reflecting the heritage or our town, culminating in the Town's official seal. Occupying a conspicuous position at the top center of the seal is a Seneca Indian, most likely a Chief Cornplanter, respected warrior and statesman who was well known on Buffalo Creek. Next to the Chief Cornplanter is the Ebenezer Society Boundary Marker, date unknown, depicting the four corners of Ebenezer. The bottom left of the seal shows the Leydecker covered bridge. Built in 1865 and demolished in 1935, it supported traffic for seventy years and was the last of its kind to remain serviceable in Erie County. Middle Ebenezer is depicted in the center bottom of the seal, with Fourteen Holy Helpers Church, incorporated in 1864, and the Christian Metz home located on School Street. The waterwheel in back of the sawmill on the millrace on Indian Church Road is depicted at the bottom right of the seal. The West Seneca town seal is an eloquent symbol of the heritage received from our earliest inhabitants, the Seneca Indians, and later the Ebenezers, whose cultural influence and work values continued to play an influential role in the development of our community for many years, and remain part of our cherished heritage. Our town flag upon which the official town seal rests, is always on display in Council Chambers of Town Hall and is available for viewing if you would like a closer look.
Dov Gutterman, 29 November 2002
image located by Paul Bassinson, 26 April 2020
Paul Bassinson, 26 April 2020