Last modified: 2020-07-04 by rick wyatt
Keywords: new york | cortlandt | westchester county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Town of Cortlandt, New York is located in the northwestern corner of Westchester County. Cortlandt includes two incorporated villages, Croton-on-Hudson and Buchanan and several hamlets including Montrose, Crugers and Verplanck. The Town has a total area of 34.5 square miles with an estimated 1998 population of 29,000, not including the Villages of Croton-on-Hudson and Buchanan. Hendrick Hudson discovered the Hudson River in 1609, sailing his ship the Half Moon north anchoring at Verplanck's Point. Cortlandt derived its name from the Van Cortlandt family who began purchasing land in 1677 from the Croton River north to Anthony's Nose and east to Connecticut. Cortlandt was the site of many skirmishes during the Revolutionary War. Local Roads, such as Watch Hill and Furnace Dock Road, where the furnaces that made ammunition for the war effort were located, bear names reflecting the Revolutionary time. In 1788 under the Township Act, Cortlandt became one of 20 townships in Westchester County with Philip Van Cortlandt as the first Supervisor. During the 19th
century the railroad was extended to the area and industrialization began to occur with the hamlet of Verplanck becoming an important brickmaking center. Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries the Town of Cortlandt was predominantly a rural, agricultural community with seasonal bungalow colonies serving the residents of New York City. By the 1950's Federal housing programs, combined with improvements to the road network and the railroad, led to the suburbanization of the Town, which was typical throughout New York State. Today, many residents of the Town commute to the major employment centers of New York City and White Plains.
http://www.townofcortlandt.com (Town website)
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2007
In "The Journal News", 20 January 2007, Robert Marchant announced that Cortlandt will soon have a flag bearing the Town's seal: "Town Supervisor Linda Puglisi ordered the flags to enhance the appearance of public buildings and
foster hometown pride. The town will take delivery of six flags at a cost of $1,800 next month. The spending was authorized by the Town Board. The flags, in maroon and gold, depict a Colonial-era home, the same symbol on the town seal. "It's been on my list for a long time," said Puglisi, and some recent renovation work at Town Hall made it seem like a good time to display flags with the town crest. One flag will be in the Town Board's chambers, and others will be hoisted at town parks and other facilities. [...]"
Ivan Sache, 24 January 2007
image located by Paul Bassinson, 7 April 2020