Last modified: 2013-10-19 by rick wyatt
Keywords: canton | mississippi | madison county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Ivan Sache, 8 August 2011
The city of Canton (12,911 inhabitants in 2000) is the capital of Madison County. Canton is located on the Mississippi Blues Trail, since Elmore James (1918-1963, nicknamed "The King of the Slide Guitar") lived there.
Canton has now a flag, made of a green field with a golden fringe and charged with the image of the courthouse near the fly. On the courthouse's left is placed the motto "One people / One voice / One goal", in yellow letters. Below the courthouse is placed the writing "CANTON, MISSISSIPPI", in yellow letters, too. The design of the city flag was promoted by Mayor William Truly, after he had realized that the city has no flag. The Board of Aldermen nanimously voted in favor of the flag. Green represents and golden yellow represents the city's success, achievements and prosperity. The year the city was founded, 1836, may be added in a corner of future flags.
- clarionledger.com, 8 August 2011, with a color photo of the flag
Ivan Sache, 8 August 2011