Last modified: 2021-08-25 by rob raeside
Keywords: cabanas | tejutepeque |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The name Tejutepeque derives from the prefix Tejut or Texut = brasa (English:
embers, hot coal) and Tepec = cerro (English: hill). The city then means "Cerro
de las brasas" (English: hot coal hill, or embers hill), an expression used to
indicate a place of hot climate. This name comes from Náhuatl (or Classic Aztec)
Testutepec. It also means: "Cerro de las Tejas" (English: Roof tiles hill),
"Cerro Caracol de Piedra" (English: Stone snail hill) or "Cerro Azul" (English:
The village of Tejutepeque, in the jurisdiction of the town of Ilobasco, was erected as a town by law of March 6, 1847, considering that it had the number of inhabitants and circumstances required to constitute a municipality. Then in 1856, being governor of the Department of Cuscatlán, Don Francisco Revelo, suppressed the municipality of Tejutepeque and annexed it to Ilobasco as a village or canton, just as it had been before it was declared a village, because it lacked the conditions and population required to be a village again.
In the refoundation of the municipality, in statistical reports of Ilobasco, of December 20, 1859, Tejutepeque still figures as a village or canton of its jurisdiction; but in statistical data concerning 1861 it appears again as a municipality.
Then, by law issued by the National Constituent Assembly, on February 10, 1873, Tejutepeque was incorporated into the department of Cabañas and segregated from Cuscatlán, to which it had belonged since its foundation.
Then, by Legislative Decree of January 25, 1879, was given the title again of Villa (English: Village) and finally in 1996 it was granted the status of city."
Sources: http://www.municipiosdeelsalvador.com/cabanas/tejutepeque and
For additional information go to Tejutepeque (official website): http://www.tejutepeque.com/
Esteban Rivera, 30 August 2018
Reported Arms in 2018
image by Fred Drews, 29 August 2018
Reported Arms in 2014
image by Fred Drews, 20 April 2014