Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: kozy | goats |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The legend on the village foundation has it that on two glades at the feet of Chrobacza Łąka, there existed two villages of similar names Kozy Górne [Upper Kozy] and Kozy Dolne [Lower Kozy]. Till the end of 18th century each village was administered by an independent commune head and had a different owner, although they constituted one parish, mentioned for the first time in the year 1326 on a list of visited parishes in Poland, as „Duabuscapris seu Siffridivilla”, which means Two Goats – a landed estate of Siegfrid. Already at that time the village possessed a parish church and a small castle surrounded by a rampart and a moat, the remnants of that survived till the year 1935. The castle was a seat of knights of the Prince of Oświęcim, so-called raubritters – brigands, who used to rob merchants. Oświęcim and Zator Land was included into the Polish Crown in the year 1457, and earlier, from the year 1327, it was ruled by a Czech king.
Kozy was a village of nobility. It was owned in turn by: the Kornicas (from ca.1425), the Gierałtowskis (from ca.1536). In the year 1559 Jakub Gierałtowski transformed a Catholic church in Kozy into a Calvinistic chapel. The Calvinists destroyed all books and documents belonging to the parish. The church was brought back to the Catholics only in the year 1658. From the year 1636 the Gierałtowskis were heirs to Kozy Dolne, and Kozy Górne belonged to the Russockis.
In the period between 1650 – 1687 Kozy Dolne was a heritage of the Rej
from Nagłowice family. In the 18th century the Jordans become the owners
of Kozy. Introduction of house numbers in 1776 created a monolithic nature
of an administration unit of Kozy. During the reign of the Jordans most
of the brick buildings were erected, among others: buildings of medium
and lower manor house, the tavern and most of the building for court servants.
In the 19th century Kozy was administered by the Kluckis, and then by Barons
Czecz de Lindenwald. Marian Czecz was a host to commanding officer Józef
Piłsudski in February 1915, (first headquarters of the Legions First Brigade
was located in Kęty). Kozy was one of the richest villages of the Oświęcim
Land. It was famous for many excellent carpenters, bricklayers and looms.
Source: Kozy commune website.
Jarig Bakker, 6 Feb 2008