This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Łasin district (Poland)
Grudziądz county, Kujawsko-Pomorskie voivodship
Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: lasin |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
image by Pascal Gross, 27 August 1999
adopted 27 Jan 1998
Description of the flag: Three parallel horizontal bends of equal breadth:
red, white and black. In the middle of white belt is the coat of arms.
Image on this site.
Meaning: The colours of the flag are taken from the medieval coat of
arms of the governor.
Coat of Arms: On field gules, head of St, John and a chalice or. On both sides
of the chalice, oak trees vert. St. John isn't John the Baptist but John
the Evangelist. This is because the city used to be poperty of nearby Benedictine
abbey in Mogilno. Usually, St. John the Evangelist is symbolised by an
eagle. Sometimes, however, he was represented by a chalice. Oak trees stand
for the forests of the area.
The flag was introduced on the 700th anniversary of raising Łasin to
the status of a city. The flag was accepted by the City Council on 27 January
1998. Łasin is c. 70 km south of Gdansk.
Bartek Kachniarz, 28 Aug 2000
Łasin: ca. 3300 inhabitants, today in Grudziądz county, in the Cuiavia-Pomeranian
region. A town since 1306, but reverted in 1830 to a village and raised
again in 1886. In Poland since the Toruń Treaty of 1466. German name: Lessen.
Gwidon S. Naskrent, 6 Sept 2000
Łasin Coat of Arms
image from this site.