Last modified: 2021-08-25 by rob raeside
Keywords: melgar | peru |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Cupi (3,323 inhabitants) is one of the nine districts forming the Melgar
Province in Puno Region. Located in the north of Puno Region, at high elevation
(3,956 m - 4,200 m), Cupi is named for the Cupinisque pre-Columbian culture, one
of the most developed in the region. The Cupinisque emerged 1700 years BC in the
central and southern mountains of the Altiplano. They seem to have acculturated
many other cultures in Peru through pacific expansion and persuasion rather than
through conquest and war.
The Cupi District was set up on 30 August 1823 by Simón Bolívar, among the seven "heroic districts" created in the Lampa Province (Santa Rosa de Lampa, Umachiri, Nuñoa, Cupi, Llalli, Orurillo and Macari). Cattle breeding (cows, sheep and Andine animals) involves 85% of the area of the district. The remaining 15% of the district are mostly cropped with oats, barley, cañihua ("Chenopodium pallidicaule") and quinoa ("Chenopodium quinoa"), and potato.
Source: http://www.telecentros.pe/cupi/index.shtml - Cupi homepage
The flag of Cupi is horizontally divided celeste blue-white-green, with the district's coat of arms in the middle, surrounded by the golden writing "GOBIERNO LOCAL" (top) and CUPI (bottom).
Source: http://www.telecentros.pe/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2696 - Photo of a table flag
The coat of arms of Cupi is a shield bordered red and framed by two municipal flags each attached to a spear (only the finial is visible). The shield is horizontally divided yellow-white, at the top a blue stream issuing from brown mountains, at the bottom a green disk charged with a yellow barley ear and a bovine's head outlined in yellow, under the disk, "Cupi" written in blue cursive letters.
Source: http://www.telecentros.pe/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2718 - Photo of the coat of arms
Ivan Sache, 06 October 2012