Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: mitzpe ramon | mizpe ramon | mo'atza mekomit mizpe ramon | text: hebrew (blue) | mountain (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 13th April 1972
Situated in the Mount Negev area in the centre of the Negev
Desert, west to road 80, 40 kms south to Be'er
Sheva and 150 km north to Elat ,
Local Council Mizpe Ramon (meaning Ramon Observatory -
pronounced Mitzpe Ramon) is sitting on the edge of the
magnificent Ramon Crater. Est. 1956. Pop: 6,200. The municipal
emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot),
'Publications Gazette' section (Yalkut HaPirsumim), YP
1816, 13 April 1972.
Sources: letter from the Local Council, 25 September 2001; desk flag (white with blue inscription); this webpage.
Dov Gutterman, 19 October 2001
According to a photo at
, the flag is white on green (even if vertical).
Dov Gutterman, 21 June 2003
Founded in 1951 as a camp for the road workers which built
Be'er Sheva-Elat road and became a permanent community in 1956.
It was supposed to be financially based on road-services as
almost the only stop in this long road and from mining at Ramon
Crater. The opening of the new and faster road to Elat in 1964
(Arava Road - Road 90) was a real blow to the economy of this
small community. Only the development of desert tourism in the
1990, and moving of army camps to its vicinity save it. Local
Council since 1964 with population of 4,800 (2003).
Sources: <www.mitzpe-ramon.muni.il>, <www.boker.org.il>.
Emblem appear on a stamp issued on 8 February 1967.
Dov Gutterman, 27 April 2007
image by Dov Gutterman