Last modified: 2021-08-25 by rob raeside
Keywords: guatemala | santa rosa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The flag has a white horizontal background with the coat of arms in the
middle. The coat of arms that is shown on
Wikipedia was actually drawn by Jaumé Ollé. In turn, Jaumé credits Fred in
his website as the main provider of information upon which his site (and
information) was based.
Here's some information on Santa Rosa:
"In Pre-Hispanic times, the Xincas were the first inhabitants of this Department.
During the Conquista (Española) de Guatemala (English: (Spanish) Conquest of Guatemala) by Pedro de Alvarado, took the Xincas as slaves to attack and conquer the Señorío de Cuzcatlán (English: Cuzcatlan Manor) (Cuzcatlán meaning Ciudad Joya, Jewel City in English), located in modern-day El Salvador.
Hence, the town, (in what is now Cuilapa), the river and the first bridge (built in 1592) built took the name Los Esclavos (English: The Slaves). The full name was Nuestra Señora de los Dolores o de la Candelaria de los Esclavos (English: Our Lady of Sorrows or Our Lady of the Candlemas of the Slaves).
In 1825, after the country's independence, the Asamblea Nacional Constituyente (English: National Constituent Assembly), divided the territory into seven Departments, the third one being Guatemala-Escuintla, conformed by the towns of Guatemala, Escuintla and Guazacapán, subdivided into seven Distritos in which Santa Rosa de Lima became the cabecera departamental (English: Department seat).
On May 25, 1848 the Mita Region was split from the Departamento de Chiquimula, transformed into a
Department and divided into three Districts: Jutiapa, Santa Rosa and Jalapa. Specifically the District of Santa Rosa included Santa Rosa as Department seat, together with Cuajiniquilapa (now called Cuilapa), Chiquimulilla, Guazacapán, Taxisco, Pasaco, Nancinta (part of present-day Chiquimulilla), Tecuaco, Sinacantán (part of present-day Chiquimulilla), Isguatán (now called Santa María Ixhuatán, Sacualpa, La Leona (now called Oratorio, Jumaytepeque (shortened to Jumay, which was a town itself until annexed by Acuerdo Gubernativo (English: Government Agreement) of October 2, 1935 to Nueva Santa Rosa) and Mataquescuintla.
On May 8, 1852 the Departamento de Santa Rosa was established, as it is today."
For additional information go to (Aquí) Santa Rosa (official website):
Esteban Rivera 25 September 2018
image by Jaume Ollé