Last modified: 2021-01-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: grand-fort-philippe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Grand-Fort-Philippe - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 15 November 2020
The municipality of Grand-Fort-Philippe (5,121 inhabitants in 2018; 313 ha) is located half distance (20 km) of Calais and Dunkirk.
The municipality is named for Fort Philippe, erected at the mouth of river Aa in the 16th century by King of Spain Philip II and destroyed by the French in the early 17th century. Grand (Great) Fort Philippe allowed differentiation from Petit (Small) Fort Philippe, the village established across river Aa.
Ivan Sache, 20 November 2020
The flag of Grand-Fort-Philippe (photo, photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms, "Or, a lion sable a bordure or. The shield placed over an anchor sable", surrounded by the name of the municipality.
The coat of arms of Grand-Fort-Philippe is very similar to that of Gravelines, on which the village depended until 1884. The 1939-1945 War Cross, awarded by a Decree issued on 11 November 1948, hangs to the shield.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 20 November 2020