This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Les Ponts-de-Cé (Municipality, Maine-et-Loire, France)

Last modified: 2021-07-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: les ponts-de-cé |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Les Ponts-de-Cé - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 22 April 2021

See also:

Presentation of Les Ponts-de-Cé

The municipality of Les Ponts-de-Cé (12,811 inhabitants in 2018; 1,955 ha) is adjacent (south-east) to Angers.

Les Ponts-de-Cé developed around a fortified brisge built in 869 by King Charles the Bald in order to prevent Viking looters from sailing up the Loire.
In the 15th century, King Louis XI frequently stayed in Les Ponts-de-Cé, then located in Anjou and threatened by Duke Francis II of Brittany, who sided up against France with duke of Burgundy Charles the Bold. Louis XI arrived in Les Ponts-de-Cé on 29 August 1472, after having occupied the border towns of Ancenis on 7 July and Pouancé on 21 July, which convinced Francis II not to attack France.

On 7 August 1620, the fighing known as Ponts-de-Cé Drolleries was fought between the partisans of King Louis XIII and those of his mother, Marie de' Medici, who had been removed from the regency by his son three years earlier and attempted to return to power. By the defection of some of his allies, Marie de' Medici's troops were soon left without command before the fight. The royal army had only to disperse the infantrymen in a general drollery.

Olivier Touzeau, 22 April 2021

Flag of Les Ponts-de-Cé

The flag of Les Ponts-de-Cé (photo, photo) is white with the municipal logo, which was adopted in 2008 as a revision of the former one. Accordingly, the municipality launched a survey about a new logo, which had to be answered before 9 May 2021.
[Municipal website]

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 24 April 2021