Last modified: 2020-04-02 by ivan sache
Keywords: layos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Layos - Image by Ivan Sache, 10 September 2019
The municipality of Layos (685 inhabitants in 2018; 1,839 ha; municipal website) is located 20 km south of Toledo.
Layos was most probably named for layator, "a farmer using a hoe". Layos was most probably re-settled by Mozarab farmers in the 12th-13th centuries; they moslty cultivated grapevine and grain on plots owned by lineages and religious foundations in Toledo, such as the Santa María de la Sisla convent, the Santo Domingo el Real and Santo Domingo el Antiguo monasteries, and the San Clemente convent.
On 12 September 1445, Juan Carrillo was erected lord of Layos by King John II. His sons sold the town in 1509 to Francisco de Rojas (d. 1523), an Ambassador of the Catholic Monarchs who had returned to Spain in 1507.
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2019
The flag of Layos is prescribed by an Order issued on 10 August 1998 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 21 August 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 38, p. 6,461 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular in proportions 1:2, white, divided in zigzag at hoist to form three full and two half triangles, all blue.
The flag in use (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo) is charged with the municipal coat of arms, with the name of the municipality written on a golden scroll placed beneath the shield.
The coat of arms of Layos is prescribed by an Order issued on 10 August 1998 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 21 August 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 38, p. 6,461 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or five stars azure, 2. Argent an elm proper on steps azure. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed symbols "without any inconvenience".
The arms, designed from scratch, are composed of the arms of the Rojas lineage, lord of Layos since the 17th century, and of the old elm below which were celebrated the municipal councils.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 197:1, 184. 2002]
The Rojas lineage is of Aragonese origin. In the 13th century, Alonso de Rojas, froù Bureva, supported King John in the war against the Moorish Kingdom of Valencia. He was appoiinted Captain of the Cavalry.
Francisco de Rojas y Guevara was erected Count of Mora in 1802. The 7th Count of Mora, José Antonio de Rojas y Toledo, Marquess of La Torre de Esteban Hambrán, was made Grandee of Spain, first class, in 1756.
Jerónimo de Rojas y Rojas was made Marquess of La Peña de los Enamorados in 1679; Pedro de Rojas y Contreras was made Marquess of Villanueva de Duero in 1740; José de Rojas y Contreras was made Marquess of Albentos in 1761; José de Rojas was made Count of Casa Rojas in 1790, and Eduardo de Rojas y Alonso, was made Count of Montarco in 1879.
[Heraldica Saraif, 5 March 2008]
The Layos field elm (Ulmus minor Mill.), owned by the municipality, is c. 300 years old. The tree was granted in 2010 the "Tree of the Year" prize, awarded by the NGO Bosques Sin Fronteras (Woods Without Borders).
[ABC, 20 November 2010]
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2019