Last modified: 2015-02-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: breña baja |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Breña Baja, as seen on 26 January 2014 in front of the Town Hall in San José - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 February 2014
The flag and arms of Breña Baja, validated on 21 April 1995 by the Heraldry Commission of the Canary Islands, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 26 May 1995 by the Government of the Canary Islands and published on 5 July 1995 in the official gazette of the Canary Islands, No. 84, pp. 6,425-6,427 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag:Three vertical stripes of equal width. Green on the [heraldic] right, yellow in the middle and blue at fly. The coat of arms in the central stripe.
Coat of arms: [Quarterly,] 1. Azure a mount proper, 2. Per fess, a. Gules a rose argent, b. Argent a rose gules, 3. Or a castle gules over waves argent and azure, 4. Vert a saw or. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), green represente the creative power and the fertility of the earth, yellow represents diligence and generosity of the inhabitants, and blue represents height and depth, the sky and the sea.
The 1st quarter represents the local mountains, especially Monte de la Breña and Pico Birigoyo. The 2nd quarter reminds tha Breñas Baja was the first municipality in Spain to celebrate Mother's Day, being rewarded for this with the title of "Muy Noble y Honorable Villa" (Very Noble and Honourable Town). The 3rd quarter represents castle San Carlos, erected in 1568 and nowadays disappeared. The 4th quarter represents St. Joseph, the patron saint of the municipality, as well as labour and strength of the inhabitants.
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 10 February 2014