Last modified: 2018-03-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: vilafranca de bonany | villafranca de bonany |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vilafranca de Bonany - Image by Ivan Sache, 13 March 2018
The municipality of Vilafranca de Bonany (Spanish, Villafranca de Bonany; 3,047 inhabitants in 2017, 2,394 ha) is located 40 km due east of Palma de Mallorca.
Ivan Sache, 13 March 2018
The flag of Vilafranca de Bonany (photo,
photo) is prescribed by an Agreement adopted on 10 August 2016 by the Majorca Insular Council, signed on 8 September
2016 by the President of the Council, and published on 29 September 2016
in the official gazette of the Balearic Islands, No. 148, pp.
29,513-29,514 (text), and on 14 October 2015 in the Spanish official gazette,
No. 249, p. 72,959 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Modified flag: Four horizontal red stripes on a yellow background, with the coat of arms of Vilafranca de Bonany in the middle and a purple vertical stripe at hoist, charged with the skyline of the village of Vilafranca placed vertically.
The flag was approved on 10 November 2015 by the Municipal Council, only
with the votes of the majority group (PP). Mayor Monserrat Rosselló said that the new flag should identify Vilafranca as a village. The design is based on the flag of Majorca, with the municipal coat of arms added and
the village's skyline substituted to the Palace de La Almudaina.
The opposition group at the Municipal Council appealed to the flag, arguing that the flag was modified without providing any supporting memoir. They were replied that "no specific regulation" exist and that "no supporting memoir was ever redacted on any municipal flag in Majorca".
[Ultima Hora, Noticias, 31 October 2015; Ultima Hora, Noticias, 16 November 2015]
The central and main element of the skyline is the St. Barbara church,
whose building started in 1627. The bell tower was added in 1815-1842.
The statute of Jesus' Sacred Heart was erected atop the main cupula in
the second half of the 20th century.
[ Municipal website]
Ivan Sache, 13 March 2018
Former flag of Vilafranca de Bonany - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 June 2009
The former flag of Vilafranca de Bonany, as observed in May 2009, was prescribed by an Agreement
adopted on 2 March 2002 by the Municipal Council. The five councilors
from the majority group (PSM nationalist) voted for the proposal while
the three councilors from the opposition group (PP) abstained from voting.
The flag was described as follows (text):
Flag: Four horizontal red stripes on a yellow background, with the coat of arms of Vilafranca de Bonany in the middle.
The coat of arms has the shield placed on a white mantling. In a blue field is a white tower placed upon four white steps and flanked by white walls masoned black. The tower stands between two white pillars propping up a roof of the same colour. The pinkish base shows the name of the village in white capitals. The mantling is quilted and has a 3-D effect. The tower is symbolizing St. Barbara, the patron of the municipality.Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 13 March 2018