Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: paredes de nava |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Paredes de Nava (2,096 inhabitants in 2010; 12,898 ha; municipal website) is located in the south of Palencia Province, 10 km from Palencia.
Paredes de Nava might have been Intercatia, a town built the pre-Roman
Vaccaei tribe, of which several stone and bronze artefacts have been
found, including an hospitality pact set up between two inhabitants of
Intercatia and Pallantia (Palencia). Paredes (once Parietes) is a
Basque word meaning "a plain", alluding to remains of old buildings,
maybe belonging to the Vaccaei town. Several villages existed on the
municipal territory; some of them, such as Carejas, with a chapel
build on the remains of an old church, are still there.
After King Alfonso VII had granted them a charter, sometime between 1128 and 1134, the villagers deserted most hamlets and grouped into a single population nucleus. The town was protected by walls, increased several times because of the demographic growth; the eventual wall was oval, with six gates, as can still be seen on the map of the town. Paredes was divided into eight boroughs, La Fuente, Renedo, San Miguel, San Juan, Ardagón, Mediano, Calleluenga and Gallegos (settled by Galicians, gallegos), and an independent Jewish ward (juderia). Paredes was besieged in 1289 by Regent María de Molina; María Díaz, the daughter of the Lord of Biscay resisted and was eventually granted the ownership of the town, which was incorporated to the Kingdom of Castile in 1326.
In the 15th century, Paredes was ruled by the Manrique de Lara; Rodrigo Manrique was erected the first Count of Paredes. The Manrique's palace, incorporated in the town wall, was eventually ruined and sold in the 18th century, all its stones being used to build the Castile Canal. Achieved in 1791, the canal allowed grains produced in Paredes to be shipped to Cantabria, contributing to the development of the town.
Ivan Sache, 3 April 2011
The flag and arms of Paredes de Nava are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 27 July 1998 by the Palencia Provincial Government, signed
on 28 July 1998 by the President of the Government, and published on 10
August 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 151 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, crimson. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Or two cauldrons sable with snaky handles, a bordure compony castles and lions, that is Castile and León. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
Ivan Sache, 3 April 2011