This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Espinosa de Cerrato (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: espinosa de cerrato |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Espinosa de Cerrato, left, as used, right, as originally proposed - Images by Ivan Sache, 7 April 2011

See also:

Presentation of Espinosa de Cerrato

The municipality of Espinosa de Cerrato (193 inhabitants in 2010; 4,528 ha; unofficial website) is located 50 km from Palencia.

Espinosa de Cerrato was resettled and fortified at the end of the 9th century, in a place planted with hawthorn (espinos) already settled in the Roman times, as evidenced by coins from the Imperial period recently found in the village. Espinosa was granted by King Alfonso VIII to Pedro Martínez de Ihoba, who transferred in 1170 the village to the San Miguel de Treviño monastery. In 1752, a court case opposed the Duchess of Alba and the Count of Benavente for the control of the village.

Ivan Sache, 7 April 2011

Symbols of Espinosa de Cerrato

he flag and arms of Espinosa de Cerrato are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 25 May 1998 by the Palencia Provincial Government, signed on 2 June 1998 by the President of the Government, and published on 15 June 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 111 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, made of five equal horizontal stripes, three white and two blue, the outer white stripes charged with two red crosses and the central white stripe charged with one red cross.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure three waves argent, 2. Gules a monastery argent masoned sable. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

The flag uses the colors of the first quarter of the arms; the seven crosses represent the seven chapels of the village (San Bartolomé, Santa Lucía, Saúco - the today's village chapel -, San Frutos, Ecce Homo, San Roque and San Cristol).

The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed designs. The originally proposed flag was with proportions 2:3 (image). The blazon of the coat of arms originally mentioned a church and not a monastery.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 197, 2: 351, 2000]

Ivan Sache, 23 January 2014