This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Castrillo de Don Juan (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: castrillo de don juan | palencia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Castrillo de Don Juan - Image by "Valdavia" (Wikimedia Commons), 18 March 2011

See also:

Presentation of Castrillo de Don Juan

The municipality of Castrillo de Don Juan (266 inhabitants in 2010; 4,984 ha; unofficial website) is located on the borders of the Burgos and Valladolid Provinces, 50 km from Palencia.

Castrillo was named for an old tower or fortification (castril) built in the late 9th century on the place called Cotarro del Castillo. The village was successively known as Castriello de Oveco Diez (9th-13th centuries, for an early resettler, said to have founded the San Pelayo de Cerrato monastery), Castriel Dodíaz, Castriel de Lope Dodíaz (14th century) and Castril de Luís Dodíaz (15th century). The village was ruled in 1466 by Gutierre Delgadillo, a descendant of Fernán García; in the middle of the 16th century, the lord of Castrillo was Don Juan Delgadillo de Avellaneda, for which the village was probably renamed Castrillo de Don Juan, a name fixed in 1611. Don Juan Avellaneda Delgadillo Vela y Leyva was made Count of Castrillo in 1610; the 17th Count of Castrillo is Gonzalo Crespi de Valdaura y Bosch-Labrús (b. 1936), Grandee of Spain, Count of Orgaz, Sumarcárcer and Serramagna.

Ivan Sache, 18 March 2011

Symbols of Castrillo de Don Juan

The flag and arms of Castrillo de Don Juan are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 12 April 1999 by the Palencia Provincial Government, signed on 16 April 1999 by the President of the Government, and published on 4 May 1999 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 83, p. 4,680 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag with proportions 1:1, horizontally divided white-sky blue. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms, in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a castle gules, 2. Or two wolves sable per pale, a bordure gules eight cauldrons sable fimbriated or [...]. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

The symbols (unofficial website) were designed by Manuel María Rodríguez de Maribona y Dávila (document dated 4 December 1998).
The flag uses the Marian colors, as a tribute to the village's patron saint, Virgin Mary.
The municipal arms show the medieval fortress, recalled in the name of the village, and the arms of the House of Avellaneda y Delgadillo, first Counts of Castrillo.

Ivan Sache, 18 March 2011