Last modified: 2018-09-02 by ivan sache
Keywords: parla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Parla - Image by Ivan Sache, 20 November 2016
The municipality of Parla (125,056 inhabitants in 2015, therefore the 9th most populated municipality in the Community of Madrid; 2,443 ha; municipal website) is located 20 km south of Madrid.
The municipality experienced a demographic boom in the last decades of the 20th century, its population increasing from 1,809 inhabitants in 1960 to 10,317 in 1970, 56,318 in 1981, and 79,213 in 2001. The municipality is divided into five districts and 16 boroughs.
Parla was first mentioned in a document dated 22 March 1255, related to a lawsuit opposing the Order of St. John to the Council of Humanes. King Alfonso XI transferred in 1348 the town to Cardinal Pedro Gómez Barroso. The village of Humanejos, listed as deserted in 1348, was resettled in 1481 by inhabitants of Parla and the neighbouring towns, such as Pinto and Torrejón de Velasco. Humanejos was definitively deserted in 1649, its territory being incorporated to Parla.
Parla is the birth town of the architect Bartolomé Hurtado García (1o620-1698; (biography), who worked in Madrid for kings Philip IV and Charles II. He designed the left wing of the Town Hall, parts of the Royal Alcázar (ruined by a blaze in 1734), the Santa Cruz Palace and several religious buildings, such as the Sacrament and Rosary convents.
Ivan Sache, 20 November 2016
The flag of Parla (photo,
photo), adopted on 10 November 2016 by the Municipal Council
and validated on 16 December 2016 by the Royal Academy of History and on
9 January 2017 by the Royal Academy Matritense of Heraldry and
Genealogy, is prescribed by an Agreement adopted on 7 March 2017 by the
Government of Madrid and published on 17 March 2017 in the official
gazette of the Community of Madrid, No.65, pp. 281-282 (text), and on 23 March
2017 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 70, pp. 20,717-20,718 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3, red, with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
The coat of arms of Parla is prescribed by Royal Decree No. 2,834, signed on 12 November 1976 and published on 9 December 1976 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 295, p. 24,567 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Vert a bustard or, 2. Or three fesses vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 22 March 2018