Last modified: 2015-07-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: spain | galicia | lugo | burela | coat of arms | lighthouse (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
9:13? | stripes 1+2
image by António Martins
Information on the flag and coat-of-arms of Burela at www.burela.org.
Dov Gutterman, 05 Jul 2000
The flag is officially described as:
"Vertically divided 1:2, at hoist dark blue with the lighthouse and the torc, all yellow, at fly light blue."The coat of arms is officially described as:
"Per fess wavy azure (blue) and argent (white) a lighthouse ensigned by a torc or all over. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed."The lighthouse recalls the watching "facho" permanently set up on the town's port in 1641. The golden Celtic torc, found in 1945 in the place named Chao de Castro, is kept in the Provincial Museum of Lugo. The two attributes are placed over waves that express and recall the specific relationship of Burela with the sea and its modern maritime activities.
Source: Municipal website
A torc is a twisted piece of rigid metal worn as an arm ring, a neck ring or a neck lace by the ancient Celts. The Burela Torc, 21.1 cm in diameter and 1,812 g in weight, is the biggest torc found in Galicia.
The Burela Torc, as well as other jewels such as the Ribadeo winged dog, were offerred to the Provincial Museum of Lugo by the art patron's Álvaro Gil Varela and his wife Antonia Arias from 1955 to 1980. Gil's heirs have asked the return of the jewels, which was granted by the court in March 2009. The mayor of Burela had said that the torc and the other jewels, as part of the collective heritage, should stay in the museum.
Sources: "El Progreso," 25 Mar 2009; "La Voz de Galicia," 03 Feb 2010
Ivan Sache, 10 Feb 2010