Last modified: 2016-06-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: torreblascopedro |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Torreblascopedro - Image by Ivan Sache, 21 July 2009
The municipality of Torreblascopedro (2,812 inhabitants in 2008; 6,000 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km north of Jaén.
Torreblascopedro emerged in the 18th century as a grain-producing area known as Torre de Blasco Pedro, Torre de Velasco, Blascopedro... In the 18th century, the small village of Lupión (80 inhabitants) sued the powerful, neighbouring town of Baeza for the owning of the rich Royal pastures known as Torre de Velasco. In 1771, Baeza set up the Villazgo de Lupión, which required municipal independence in 1813, eventually granted, as Torreblascopedro, in 1871.
The village of Campillo del Río, the second settlement in the municipality, was created in the 1950s as part of the Jaén Plan, aimed to develop irrigated agriculture; Campillo del Río is today a pioneer in the use of solar energy and the main producer of white asparagus in the Jaén Province.
Ivan Sache, 21 July 2009
The flag (photo) and arms of Torreblascopedro, adopted on 6 April 2005 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 15 April 2005 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 28 April 2005 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 13 May 2005 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 92, pp. 36-37 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, horizontally divided in three equal parts, the upper and the lower red, and the central itself divided in three horizontal white, red and white stripes. In the center the municipal coat of arms of the town.
Coat of arms: Gules a tower argent masoned sable port and windows azure an arm issuant from the window raising a sword argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The flag uses the colours of the coat of arms.
The arms features a tower (torre) that makes the arms canting and could also recall the castle of Lupíon, of which only one tower has been preserved - this is, most probably, a mere coincidence. Anyway, the tower reflects the military past of the area. The arm could represent the knight Pedro Vela, who was granted a tower, or refer again to the border location of the place, which required permanent watch.
The municipality now uses a coat of arms featuring the tower or instead of argent.
Ivan Sache, 21 July 2009