Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: carataunas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Carataunas - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 13 May 2014
The municipality of Carataunas (197 inhabitants in 2008; 468 ha; municipal website) is located in the Alpujarra Mountains, 60 km south-east of Granada.
Ivan Sache, 10 July 2009
The flag and arms of Carataunas, adopted on 28 June 2006 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 28 July 2006 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 28 August 2006 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 8 September 2006 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 175, p. 42 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3, made of three horizontal stripes, the upper red, the lower green and the middle white. All over, centered, the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Argent a mulberry tree vert, 2. Vert a Sierra Nevada of the same behind the parish church argent, standing on four waves azure. Grafted in base, gules a pomegranate proper faceted gules orled with thirteen bezants. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
The mulberry tree recalls that silk was once the most important source of income for the village. The parish church of Our Lady of Peace is represented with the Sierra Nevada in the background and the sea in the foreground; built in 1580, the church keeps several old paintings, for instance a portray of the Immaculate Conception attributed to the workshop of Alonso Cano (1601-1667, a Granada-born painter, sculptor and architect from the Spanish Gilded Age). The pomegranate (granada) represents the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada; the thirteen bezants represent the 13 colonists commissioned by Philip II to re-settle the village after the expelling of the Mosriscos.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 27 June 2009