Last modified: 2019-10-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: villar de olalla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villar de Olalla - Image by Ivan Sache, 24 July 2019
The municipality of Villar de Ollala (1,236 inhabitants in 2015; 15,808 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km south-west of Cuenca. The municipality is made of the town of Villar de Ollala, of the villages of Barbalimpia and Villarejo Seco, and of the borough of Las Pernalosas.
Villar de Olalla was already settled in the Age of Bronze, as evidenced
by the Los Escalones necropolis. The Celtiberians established a camp
downhill; a tumulus was located in El Zarzoso. In the Roman times, the
town of Lobetum was located on the border of the today's municipal
territories of Villar and Cuenca. Several villae were set up in the
valley of river San Martín. Ollala is believed to have been derived from
the Arab world walaya, "a valley", "a plain".
The Visigoths established a village on the bank of river San Martín, on the San Lorenzo hill. They set up a sacred necropolis on the conic hill situated across the river, on the site of the today's village. Vilar de Ollala was mentioned in the last will of Cardinal Gil de Albornoz (1310-1367); the village might have been resettled by the Albornoz family short after the reconquest of Cuenca (1177).
Ivan Sache, 24 July 2019
The flag of Villar de Ollala is prescribed by an Order issued on 30
March 2006 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 13
April 2006 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 78, p. 8,554 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular in proportions 2:3, red with a white stripe outlined in blue, diagonally running from the hoist's upper angle to the fly's lower angle.
The coat of arms of Villar de Ollala is prescribed by an Order issued on
30 March 2006 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on
13 April 2006 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 78, p.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Gules a fortified town argent over waves azure and argent cantonned by a tower argent port and windows azure (upper right canton), a rider or armed with shield and sword (upper left canton), an harquebush (right lower canton), and brambles fructed or (lower right canton). The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The arms are canting; the town (villa) represents Villar de Ollala,
while the other charges represent the old hamlets of Ballesteros
(ballesta, "an harquebush"), Abengozar, El Zarzoso (zarza,
"brambles"), and Caballeros (caballero, "rider" / "knight"), which
were depopulated long time ago.
Ivan Sache, 24 July 2019