Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: villanueva de la sierra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villanueva de la Sierra - Image by Ivan Sache, 23 March 2020
The municipality of Villanueva de la Sierra (456 inhabitants in 2019 vs. 1;543 in 1950; 4,362 ha; municipal website) is located 100 km north of Cáceres and 30 km north-east of Coria.
Villanueva de la Sierra, according to a local legend, was originally located in a place called Los Llanos, 3 km from Villanueva-Pozuelo de Zarzón. Suppressed by ants, the village was transferred to its present-day's location.
The hamlet of Trasga, mentioned in 1077, was transferred in 1188 by Alfonso IX to the bishop of Coria. In 1359, Alfonso IX granted the bishop of Coria the town of Santa Cruz y Aldea Nueva, established by the inahbitants of Trasga, Los Jarales and Los Llanos. Known under different succesive names, the town was eventually renamed to Villanueva de la Sierra in 1743.
The 200th anniversary of the Tree Festival was celebrated in 2005 in Villanueva. The parish priest, Ramón Vacas Roxo, the school teachers and the pupils once decided to plant trees on Carnival's Tuesday to commemorate Freedom. They selected two wet sites where elms quickly grew. Mayors Pedro Barquero and Andrés Hernández subsequently prescribed the organization of a three-day festival, during which the drum was beaten and wine was served for free, as reported in the old chronicles.
The Aragonese politican Joaquín Costa (1846-1911), leader of the Regenerationist movement, "officialized" the Tree Festival, based on documentation supplied by the botanist Francisco Antonio Fernández Zea, who described the event in the weekly Agricultura y Arte dated 24 October 1804.
On 20 June 1871, the Provincial Council of Barcelona, when celebrating the 25th anniversary of the provincial reforestation plan and the Tree Day, officially congratulated Villanueva de la Sierra for having organized the world's first Tree Festival. Villanueva de la Sierra is self-styed Universal Tree Town.
Ivan Sache, 23 March 2020
The flag (photo) and arms of Villanueva de la Sierra, adopted on 5 December 1991 and 4 September 1992 by the Municipal Council and validated on 26 May and 15 September 1992 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 8 October 1992 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 20 October 19962in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 82, pp. 2,305-2,306 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3. Composed of a green panel charged with a white triangle with points at the hoist's ends and midfly, charged with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Argent a lion purpure langued gules crowned or, 1b. Gules an indeterminate tree argent, 2. Or three mounts vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 23 March 2020