Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: pasarón de la vera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pasarón de la Vera - Image by Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020
The municipality of Pasarón de la Vera (632 inhabitants in 2019 vs. 1,925 in 1940; 3,897 ha; municipal website) is located 100 km north-east of Cáceres and 30 km east of Plasencia.
Pasarón de la Vera was established around the 13th century, probably by Asturian colonists, who named it for the word passaron, "a big bird". In the 13th century, the village was transferred from Plasencia to feudal lords. Garci-Fernández Manrique de Lara, Count of Osorno, acquired Pasarón de la Vera in 1531 and erected a palace in Italian Renaissance style, topped by five monumental chimneys.
Pasarón de la Vera was registered in 1998 as an Historical-Artistic Monument.
The Pecharromán Museum (website) was established in 1999 in a house built by the Manrique de Lara in the 16th century by the painter Ricardo Pecharromán (b. 1949), founder of the Madrid New Figuration movement, derived from neo-expressionism.
Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020
The flag and arms of Pasarón de la Vera, adopted on 25 March 1994 by the Municipal Council and validated on 7 July and 8 November 1994 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 21 November 1994 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 26 November 1994 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 135, p. 4,611 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Composed of three horizontal stripes in proportions 6:8, 1:8 and 1:8, the upper, green with the municipal coat of arms, the middle white and the lower green.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a vulture proper, 2a. Gules two caldrons chequy or and sable in pale with three snakes vert on each handle. 2b, Argent a verraco sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The vulture might allude to the town's etymology ("big bird"). The second quarter features the arms of the Manrique de Lara lineage.
A verraco, aka verraco de piedras (lit., "stone boar") is a granite sculpture representing a pig, a boar, a wild boar or a bull, made by the Vettones, a Celtic cattle-herder people (4th-3rd centuries BC).
The Pasarón de la Vera verraco is known from written sources. José Ramón Mélida (Monumento figurativo, 1914-1916) mentions a granite bull near Pasarón. Públio Hurtado (1902) reports that several treasures connected to powerful societies are to be found in the region of Plasencia, especially in Cerro del Berraco (Verraco's Hill), not far from Pasarón. In the rock is found, they say, a petrified bull with a writing between the horns: "From where the bull glances is located a treasure". Ramón y Fernández Oxea (1955) reports that "in the first half of the past century a stone verraco existed on a height called the Hill's Cross".
[Pasarón de la Vera blog]
Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020