Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: logrósan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Logrósan - Image by "Logrosan2", Wikimedia Commons, 21 March 2020
The municipality of Logrósan (1,994 inhabitants in 2019 vs. 6,596 in 1960; 36,530 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with the Province of Badajoz, 100 km east of Cáceres and 70 km north-east of Don Benito.
Logrósan was settled in the Paleolithic, as evidenced by several cut stone artifacts found in Las Villuercas. During the Chalcolithic, farmers and shepherds established a permanent settlement. Mines of cassiterite, a tin oxide mineral (SnO
The Romans resume mining but also established villae in the fertile plains surrounding the hill. The landlord Lucretius must be the town's namesake, via Logrozana. During the Arab period, a castle was erected atop the hill, which was part of the defense line established on the border with the Christian states.
Logrósan was incorporated to the Kingdom of Castile in the aftermath of the reconquest of Trujillo in the 13th century. The village was moved in the 14th century from the hill to its present-day's site.
Martín de Logrósan was listed among the members of Columbus' first expedition in 1492. The local priest Martín del Barco Centenera published in 1602 the book Argentina y conquista del Río de la Plata, coining the word "Argentina". Iván Sorapán de Rieros, medical doctor in Logrósan, published in 1516 the treatise Medicina española contenida en proverbios vulgares de nuestra lengua, aimed at popularizing medicine in Castilian language.
Logrósan was granted the status of villa in 1792 by Charles IV, separating from Trujillo.
Erected the capital of a judiciary district in the 19th century, Logrósan triggered renewed mining interest. Rock phosphate, highly prized to produce fertilizers, was extracted by the Costanaza company. Mario Roso de Luna, the son of the mining engineer José Roso, was a famous theosophist and lawyer; as a scholar, he discovered a comet that was named for him.
The exploitation of cassiterite in San Cristóbal hill resumed in 1949. The Levantine geologist Vicente Sos Baynat surveyed the area and created the Mérida Geological Museum.
Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020
The flag (photo,
photo) and arms of Logrósan, adopted on 14 March 1990 by the Municipal Council and validated on 7 May 1991 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 16 July 1991 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 25 July 1991 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 57, pp. 1,489-1,490 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular. Red, cantonned by four yellow fleurs-de-lis. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Azure a stone wall masoned sable port and windows gules surrounded by two towers of the same surmounted by three fleurs-de-lis or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020