Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: losar de la vera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Losar de la Vera - Image by Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020
The municipality of Losar de la Vera (2,699 inhabitantq in 2019; 8,200 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with Castilla y León (Province of Ávila), 150 km north-east of Cáceres and 40 km north of Navalmoral de la Mata.
Losar de la Vera was first documented in 1189 when King Alfonso VIII ordered the re-settlement of the area; most colonists came from Asturias and León, which induced linguistic specificities and shaped folklore and habitation.
Losar was listed on the Bull signed in the early 13th century by Pope Honorius III, which allowed Rodrigo Jiménez de Rada, Archbishop of Toledo, to build churches in recently reconquered areas, indicating that Losar already counted a significant population. In 1254, Losar was listed on the Constitution of the Plasencia Cathedral as part of the sexmo (administrative division) of La Vera, together with Jaraíz and Cuacos. The village was indeed transfered to Plasencia in 1225 by Alfonso VIII.
As opposed to the neighboring villages, Losar remained part of the royal domain, excepted for short periods. In 1442, Plasencia and its dominions were offered by John II to Pedro de Estúñiga, to be reincorporated in 1480 to the royal domain by the Catholic Monarchs. Losar was sold in 1659 to Juan Bautista Serra, Marquess of Villalegre, together with Cabezuela del Valle, Miajadas, El Toril, Robledillo and Talayuela. The Council of Plasencia successfully appealed and maintained its rule on the sexmo.
Losar was granted the status of villa on 22 March 1662.
Losar de la Vera is famous for its plant sculpture gardens, originally established in 1974 by Vicente M. Domínguez Pérez. The founder was succeeded after his death by his apprentice, José Antonio Díaz Correas.
Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020
The flag and arms of Losar de la Vera, adopted on 1 april 2003 by the Municipal Council and validated on 25 June 2002 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 7 April 2003 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 22 April 2003 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 47, pp. 5,938-5,939 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Vertically divided (1:4), green at hoist and white at fly. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms, in width 3/5 of the flag's width.
Coat of arms: Argent a stone bridge proper masoned sable on waves azure and argent. A bordure vert eight roses or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The coat of arms features the Cuartos bridge, erected in the 15th century over the river of the same name, 2 km of Losar's downtown.
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020