Last modified: 2020-10-31 by ivan sache
Keywords: villalba de los barros |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villalba de los Barros - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 March 2020
The municipality of Villalba de los Barros (1,477 inhabitants in 2019 vs. 3,380 in 1940; 9,084 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km south-east of Badajoz and 15 km south-east of Almendralejo.
Villalba de los Barros was established in 1287 by Juan Mathé de Luna, Sancho IV's Camarero Mayor, as part of the re-settlement of the neighboring hamlet of Don Falcón; accordingly, the town was originally called Villanueva de Don Falcón. Mathé offerred Villalba to his daughter, Estefania, as her dowry for her marriage with Enrique Enriquez, the son of Infante Enriquez. In 1307, Villalaba was inherited by their son, Enrique Enriquez, whose daughter, Leonor Enriquez, inherited the domain after her father's death. Leonor's husband, Fernando de Castro, was a supporter of King Peter the Cruel. After the king's murder and the advent of a new dynasty, Villalba was confiscated. Leonor appealed, arguing that the Enriquez lineage had immediatly recognized the new dynasty.
After Leonor's death in 1393, Lorenzo Suárez de Figueroa, aka the Grand Master or the Munificent, purchased in 1395 Villalba from the two parties that claimed it, and transferred it to his son, Gómez Suárez de Figueroa, aged 14 and Cameraro Mayor of Queen Catherine of Lancaster. On 28 Septembr 1567, Philip II created Lorenzo Suárez de Figueroa, 3nd Duke of Feria, Marquess of Villalba. The Marquisate of Villalba included the towns of Solana, Corte de Peleas, Santa Marta and Nogales.
Ivan Sache, 17 March 2020
The flag (photo) and arms of Villalba de los Barros, adopted on 29 May and 11 November 1992 by the Municipal Council and validated on 20 October and 24 November 1992 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 25 November 1992 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 15 December 1992 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 97, pp. 2,728-2,729 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Composed of three vertical stripes, the central, white and twice longer than the other, which are blue. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Quarterly, 1. Argent a castle gules, 2. Azure a half sun or. 3. Or five fig leaves vert in saltire, 4. Or three fesses gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The third quarter features the canting arms of the Figueroa lineage.
Ivan Sache, 17 March 2020