Last modified: 2020-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: la codosera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Codosera - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 March 2020
The municipality of La Codosera (2,075 inhabitants in 2019; 6,966 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with Portugal, 60 km north-west of Badajoz and 20 km west of Alburquerque. The municipality is composed of the town of La Codosera and of the hamlets of Bacoco, El Marco, La Rabaza, La Tojera, La Varse and La Vega.
The border with Portugal is crossed in El Marco by a bridge over river Abrilongo. In dimensions 3.20 m x 1.45 m, this is the smallest international bridge in Europe. It was rebuilt in 2008 with funds supplied by the European Union.
La Codosera is traditionally considered to have emerged in the 12th century. The castle erected in the 14th century was part of the first line of defense of Albutquerque during the wars with Portugal (1640-1660). A tower is surmounted by a colossal statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, erected in 1957 by the sculptor Lázaro Gumiel. The chapel of Our Lady of Chandavila was erected in 1947 after the Virgin had repeatedly appeared to two young girls called Marcelina and Afra. Most of the decoration of the chapel was made by Lázaro Gumiel.
Jenaro Lázaro Gumiel (1901-1977) attended evening and free classes at the Royal Superior School of Art in Madrid. In 1939 he sculpted the Virgin of the Crosses for the parish church of Daimiel (Ciudad Real); destroyed during the Civil War, the statue was reconstituted from the remaining pieces. In 1945, he acquired the castle of La Codosera, where he would live until his death; he set up in the town a school-workshop for the youth. Named Adoptive Son of La Codosera in 1950, he exposed in Seville the same year a series of sculptures. The next year, he made a sculpture of St. Peter for the Savior church in Valladolid, and, in 1953 in the same town, the Virgin of the Pillar for the sanctuary of the Great Promise. He also sculpted a copy of the Guadalupe Virgin for the Tepeyac basilica in Mexico. Also a noted silversmith, Gumiel designed the monstrance of the parish of Conception in Madrid; the work required 33 kg silver, 500 g gold, 200 g platinum, 800 jewels and 1,500 colored stones and enamels. Gumiel was interred in the sanctuary of Chandavila.
[La Codosera blog]
Ivan Sache, 14 March 2020
The flag (photo,
photo) and arms of La Codosera, adopted on 19 November 1996 by the Municipal Council and validated on 16 July 1997 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 5 November 1997 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 22 November 1997 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 136, pp. 8,111-8,112 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: [Horizontally divided green-yellow)green, 1:2:1. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.]
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Argent a dragon vert, 2. Or two pallets gules. Grafted, Gules a castle or port and windows vert masoned sable. A bordure vert five broom [codeso]flowers or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 14 March 2020