Last modified: 2021-10-09 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: eisenach | cross(st.george) | cross(patty) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The village of Eisenach was first mentioned in 979 and was probably seat of a commissionaire of the Fulda Abbey in the 12th century. Eisenach had a few settlement cores with own parish churches, which grew toether in the 12th century. Furthermore Eisenach became seat of six different monasteries and nunneries. All were established until the end of the 14th century. The Wartburg, a fortress, was mentioned 1180 as seat of the Landgraves of Thüringen. Eisenach was mentioned as a city in 1189. In 1247 the city was acquired by the Electors of Sachsen from the Wettin kin and since then lost its importance, being located on the edge of the electorate. The city swapped between the different branches of the Wettin kin and was mostly part of the Principality of Sachsen-Weimar. Between 1672 and 1741 existed a Principality of Sachsen-Eisenach.
Elector Friedrich III the Wise of Sachsen (1486 - 1525) built the local residence and some administration buildings in the city. The German reformer Martin Luther (1483 - 1546) translated the Holy Bible to German in the nearby Wartburg Castle. In Eisneach lived and worked also the Baroque composers Georg Philipp Telemann and Johann Pachelbel and the linguist Kaspar Stieler. The Wartburg Festival (1817), where German students claimed a more modern Germany and the abolishment of the German scatterd regionalism, took place mainly in Eisenach. Since the end of the 18th century industrialisation changed the character of the city.
Eisenach had been a county-free city between 1998 and 2019, when it was incorporated into the Wartburgkreis due to financial problems.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.107-109
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Oct 2021
It is a blue-white-blue horizontal triband in proportions 1:3:1. The central stripe bears a lying Latin red cross patty alluding to that one on the arms, there held by St. George, the local patron saint.
Sources: Ulle 1999 and Staack 1997.
Stefan Schwoon, 17 Feb 2001
back to Wartburgkreis cities and municipalities click here