Last modified: 2012-08-03 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: meinerzhagen | markian chequered bar | demi-lion | issuant | saltire | horn |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
| image by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 1975
The town uses a blue-yellow banner with the arms. Meinerzhagen first had town rights from 1765-1865. In this period, arms were adopted which remained in use after this time (although only towns had the right to bear arms, not rural communes). In 1964 the town status was restored, and in 1969 Meinerzhagen was united with the communes of the surrounding Amt [a supramunicipal entity]. As a consequence of this union, new arms were created and granted in 1975.
Source: Hostert 1979.
The golden (= yellow) shield is divided by a blue saltire, which is superimposed by a red demi-lion issuant, armed and ltongued silver (=white). The base is a Markian chequered bar superimposed by a golden (= yellow) horn.
According to source the coat of arms has elements from the arms of former Meinerzhagen subcounty (Amt). The red demi-lion reminds on the Counts of Berg, the chequered bar on the Counts of Mark, the saltire probably alludes to the local von Badinghagen family. Finally the horn was taken from the arms of former municipality of Valbert.
Source: Veddeler 2003, p.179
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Aug 2012