This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Ostrhauderfehn (East Frisia, Germany)

Gemeinde Ostrhauderfehn, Kreis Leer, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ostrhauderfehn | east frisia | chief | spade | ship | fess(wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ostrhauderfehn municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider,, 29 Dec 2013 See also:

Municipality of Ostrhauderfehn

Ostrhauderfehn Municipal Flag

Description of flag:
It is a red over yellow horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: municipal webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider,, 29 Dec 2013

Ostrhauderfehn Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The golden (= yellow) shield is divided by a blue fess wavy on the base. In the centre is ared ship with sails of the same colour and black rudder and wheel house. The shield has a blue chief containing a golden (= yellow) spade.
The history of Ostrhauderfehn began in 1765, when five merchants asked the Prussian king's permission to cultivate the highmoors of the Oberledingerland. On 19 April 1769 King Friedrich the Great signed the approval to start the project. The Rhauder Osterfehn, together with the Rhauder Westerfehn since about 1829 belonged to the Lutheran parish church of Rhaude, the mother municipality of both. In 1889 a proper parish church of Ostrhauderfehn was established. About 1820 the administrative independence was gained by both settlement cores. It was proven for Ostrhauderfehn by protocols of the local council since 1874. In 1970 the former municipalities of Ostrhauderfehn proper and Holtermoor (incl. Holterfehn) merged forming the new municipality of Ostrhauderfehn. It was the very first voluntary merger of municipalities in Lower Saxony. The Eastern part of Langholt and Potshausen (1973) and finally Idafehn (1974) were incorporated into Ostrhauderfehn later. Until the 1960ies the production of peat was the main business line. The peat had been dug by big spades and was transported by little ships, so called "Tjalks", across the many local canals (Frisian: Fehnkanäle).
Source: municipal webpage

The draft of the coat of arms was made in 1975 by heraldrist Ebo Pannenborg and together with the flag adopted by the local council in the same year.
Klaus-Michael Schneider,, 29 Dec 2013

back to Leer cities and municipalities click here