Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wolfhagen | wolf(passant) | oak(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a green-brown vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Kassel District , state Hesse
banner approved in 1963
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 15 Nov 2006
Shield Or with base Vert, three oak trees Vert, a wolf passant Sable tongued Gules crossing the scene.
The arms are canting; a wolf in a little hague, a grove (German: Hagen). Wolfhagen was mentioned as a city first in 1226, when it belonged to the Landgraves of Thuringia and had a proper seal since 1239, displaying a knight holding a banner and a shield, charged with a wolf instead of the lion of Thuringia. The wolf appeared first on a seal with prints from 1321. All armourials since 1605 (Siebmacher) and 1621 (Wessel) displayed the pattern with a wolf in a hague. It was the same in the great city seal of 1734.
The canting wolf without trees later on also appeared in the arms of former Wolfhagen County.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.95
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 June 2017
back to Kassel Cities and Municipalities Page click here