This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Luckau City [Sorbian: Łukow] (Germany)

Stadt Luckau, Landkreis Dahme-Spreewald, Brandenburg

Last modified: 2020-02-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: luckau | bull(reguardant) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Luckau city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2020 See also:

Luckau City [Sorbian: Łukow]

Luckau Banner

It is a blue-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2020

Luckau Coat of Arms

Shield Argent with base Vert, a bull passant reguardant Gules armed Or.
A Slavic castle of the Lusatian was mentioned in 932 and 1012. A German castle was built in the late 12th century. Luckau gained a mint in 1286 and the title of a city in 1297. It had been the centre of administration of the area since 1301. In 1291 a Dominican monastery was established. In 1492 Luckau became the capital of the Margraviate of Lower Lusatia (Niederlausitz).
Local chronicles from 1871 say that the arms are symbolising stock breeding and agriculture of the first German settlers. A seal with the bull was used first in 1399. It is in the city archive of Thorn. The arms were continuously in use since 1492, when Luckau gained the privilege of being the capital, together with the permission to use seals of red wax. The bull is also considered to be the heraldic animal of the complete Lower Lusatia region.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.273-274
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2020

The arms were confirmed on 4 January 2005.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2020

back to Dahme-Spreewald cities and municipalities click here