Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: cham county | roding county | chief | lozengy(white-blue) | church | st gallus | coronet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Red-white-blue, adopted 04.11.1970. The county absorbed the counties Kötzting, Waldmünchen and Roding in 1973, but its arms and flag remained the same and were reconfirmed on 09.12.1975.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.23
Stefan Schwoon, 1 Aug 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 17 August 1962. The chief displays the arms of the Wittelsbach kin (see the arms of Bavaria), who ruled the area since 1205. Before 1205 the territory was owned by the Margraves of Cham-Vohburg.
The lower part shows the church in Chammünster, one of the main historical buildings in the county. It represents the coming Christianity in the early Middle Ages. The church in the arms is shown in the architecture of the later part of the 13th century. The colours of the lower part are taken from the (victual) arms of the Margraves of Cham.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.23
Santiago Dotor, 3 July 2003
Blue with the arms. If I am not mistaken, this is the only official mono-coloured county flag although several unofficial white flags with flags exist. Roding county was integrated into Cham county in 1973.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.77
Stefan Schwoon, 7 August 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 27 June 1958. The coronet in the chief is representing the old Royal Estate near Roding, which dates from the 8th century. The lower dexter half shows St. Gallus, the patron saint of the oldest church belonging to the estate. Since 1486 there is a St. Gallus fair in Roding. The lower sinister half shows the arms of Bavaria, as the whole region became part of Bavaria around 1200.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.77
Santiago Dotor, 4 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here