Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis günzburg | günzburg county | guenzburg county | coat of arms (bendy sinister: white-red) | coat of arms (pale: yellow) | coat of arms: base (bar: wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 27th September 1962, flag adopted 12th May 1967, abolished 30th June 1972
Red-yellow-red, 12.05.1967. Günzburg county was enlarged by the previously independent city of Günzburg and Krumbach county during the 1972 municipal reform [and adopted new symbols]. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 23 August 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The old arms were granted on September 27, 1962. The arms are mainly based on the arms of the Counts of Burgau, who owned the largest part of the county until 1301, when it became an Austrian possession. In 1805 the area became part of Bavaria and the Bavarian colours are used for the base of the shield. The base shows the Donau [Danube] river, which runs through the district.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003