Last modified: 2013-12-09 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis unterallgäu | unterallgäu county | coat of arms: per pale (rose: yellow) | coat of arms: per pale (fleur-de-lys: blue) | coat of arms: base (lozengy: white-blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 12 September 1974
Blue-yellow-blue stripes, 12.09.1974. The capital of the county is Mindelheim. The former counties Memmingen and Mindelheim merged into Unterallgäu county during the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on September 12, 1974.
The dexter half shows the rose of the arms of the Imperial Abbey of Ottobeuren, which ruled the for many years the southern part of the county. The fleur-de-lis is derived from the arms of the Fugger family, which ruled several estates in the county. In the 17th century the Dukes of Bavaria from the Wittelsbach dynasty acquired several estates, and the whole area became part of Bavaria in 1814. This is symbolised by the lozenges of Bavaria in the base of the shield.
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.
Stefan Schwoon, 27 August and 17 October 2001
This is a rare case in which the arms are not derived from those of former, constituent counties; compare with the arms also at the International Civic Arms website of Memmingen and Mindelheim.
Santiago Dotor, 11 February 2004