Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: berlin | bezirk tiergarten | stadtbezirk tiergarten | tiergarten district | coat of arms (deer: red) | coat of arms (trefoils: green) | crown: mural (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 | stripes 1+3+1
by Jens Pattke, coat-of-arms by Gunnar Staack
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 7th February 1955, abolished 31st December 2000
Tiergarten is the Downtown West of former West Berlin. Coat-of-arms and flag officially adopted 7th February 1955. Source: vectorial coat-of-arms image by Gunnar Staack. Flag and coat-of-arms were valid until 31st December 2000. The districts of Wedding, Tiergarten and Mitte merged on 1st January 2001 into the new district Mitte.
Jens Pattke, 25 February 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on February 7, 1955, but were already devised in 1945. The arms are canting, a deer for the Tier (animal) part and the leaves for the Garten (garden) part of the name. The name and the choice of the deer as the animal in the arms remind of the fact that in the 16th century Prince Friedrich III of Brandenburg founded a hunting castle in the area. The village of Moabit, which is now part of the district of Tiergarten, did not have its own arms. As with all arms of the Berlin districts, a mural crown with a small shield with the arms of Berlin may be used.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 20 December 2001