This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Scotstown, Quebec (Canada)


Last modified: 2022-02-19 by rob raeside
Keywords: scotstown | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Scotstown flag] image by Masao Okazaki, 11 February 2022
based on photo
See also:

The Municipality

The Town of Scotstown (503 inhabitants; 1,158 ha) is located 60 km north-west of Sherbrooke.

Scotstown was founded near 1872 by the Glasgow Canadian Land and Trust Company near an hydroelectric dam built on Rivière-au-Saumon (Salmon River). The Town of Scotstown, officially founded on 24 June 1892, was named for John Scott, first manager of the company.
Scotstown was originally inhabited by Scottish colonists. The Anglican St. Alban church was erected in 1887 by Reverend H.S. Fuller, who lived in Cookshire. It was closed in 1991 and sold the next year to the Town of Scotstown, which used it as a cultural center.
Inaugurated in 1888, the Scotstown railway station was a landmark in the economical development of the area, serving both for the transport of incoming colonists and the export of wood products.
Green and black stones have been extracted in Scotstown since 1868; in 1920, stone extracted from three quarries was processed in a big workshop established east of the town. The Scotstown stone was used to build to Veterans' Monument in Ottawa and the presbytery of Scotstown's Roman Catholic church. Deemed too brittle, the Scotstown stone decreased in popularity; the quarries were abandoned while the company was transferred to Montreal.
In 1909, the Guelph Cask and Plywood Company, based in London with branches in Michigan and Ontario, acquired a small sawmill from the Great Northern Lumber Company, which was transformed in a plywood factory that employed up to 200 workers. Resource exhaustion resulted in 1959 in the closure of the factory, whose workers were fired while the white collars were transferred to Ontario.
Town's website
Ivan Sache, 11 February 2022

The flag

The city has a white flag with its arms on it.
Dave Fowler, 9 February 2022

The arms of Scotstown are based in a drawing by Nicole Cloutier, winner of a contest organized in 1977 in the town's school by Municipal Councillor Fernand Beauchesne. In 1986, Treasurer-Secretary Armand Charest was commissioned by the Municipal Council to transformed the original drawing into a coat of arms. The final design was performed by Normand Graillon, graphic designer at MRC du Haut Saint-François.
The coat of arms was inaugurated on 24 June 1992 during the celebration of the Town's centenary.

The bricks represent the Chimney, the last reminder of the Guelph Cask and Plywood Company's factory, standing today in Parc Walter-Mckenzie, photos).
The waves represent Rivière-au-Saumon.
The fleur-de-lis represents Quebec
The thistle represents the Scottish colonists.
The spruce represents lumber industry.

Ivan Sache, 11 February 2022