Last modified: 2013-10-11 by rob raeside
Keywords: lac-sergent |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Lac-Sergent (423 inhabitants in 2006; 352 ha) is located 40 km northwest of Quebec City. The town originates in the building of the railway linking Québec City to Lake Saint-Jean ( 1854-1871; disbanded on 1989 and dismantled in 1995). The first summer tourists, Émile-T. Joncas and Paul-V. Côté, settled in 1896 along the southwestern shore of Lake Sergent, served by two railway stations. A first yacht club, Club Nautique du Lac Sergent, was founded in 1906, while the first regattas on the lake were ran on 23 August 1908. Renamed Association Aquatique du Lac Sergent on 4 July 1909 and incorporated as Association Nautique du Lac Sergent on 9 September 1931, the club became a main actor in the development of the town. The Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix-du-Lac-Sergent mission, founded on 27 September 1907, erected a chapel for the tourists, consecrated on 28 June 1908; increased in 1913 and 1927, the chapel was the first building of the town, which was incorporated on 25 February 1921 from parts of the municipalities of Saint-Raymond and Sainte-Catherine-de-Fossambault. The town was named for the two railway stations, originally known as Lake Sergent Station and Lake Sergent East Station. A project of merging of Lac-Sergent with Saint-Raymond, initiated in 1979, did not please the inhabitants of Lac-Sergent and was eventually abandoned in 1985.
The origin of the name of Lake Sergent is disputed. Eugène Rouillard believes
that it recalls an old sergent who once lived on the lakeshore. A more
imaginative hypothesis claims that the name of the lake is a bastardization of
the French word "serre-joint", "clamp", recalling the shape of the lake.
http://www.lacsergent.com - Municipal website
The flag of Lac-Sergent was adopted on 16 July 2007 by the Municipal Council and officially unveiled on 21 June 2008, during a ceremony honouring the first families that settled Lac Sergent. The flag is vertically divided blue-white-green with the municipal arms in the middle.
The arms of Lac-Sergent were designed by Paul Brochu, winner of a public contest organized in 1989 during the celebration of the 80th anniversary of the establishment of Association Nautique du Lac Sergent. On 2 April 2001, the Municipal Council adopted a Decree prescribing the arms as the official emblem of the town. The arms are "Barry wavy argent and azure a chief gules fimbriated or three chevrons of the same on a background vert. The shield supported dexter by a pine vert and sinister by a larch of the same. The shield surmounted by a moderately mountainous relief vert. Beneath the shield a scroll or inscribed with the motto 'VIVRE EN HARMONIE' in letters sable."
The main part of the shield represents vivid (wavy) Lake Sergent, as an oasis of peace and recreation (also represented by the white and blue colours). The chief gules represents energy, audacity and vivacity of the old sergent represented by three chevrons or on a background vert, the colour of the Army. The trees and the "moderately mountainous relief", here the Laurentides, represent the natural environment of Lac-Sergent. The motto reads "To Live in Harmony".
http://www.lacsergent.com/armoiries-drapeau - Municipal website
Photo of the flag inauguration:
Ivan Sache, 8 September 2013