This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Aumond, Quebec (Canada)

Last modified: 2020-06-20 by rob raeside
Keywords: aumond | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Aumond] image by Olivier Touzeau, 28 May 2020

See also:

The municipality

Aumond (750 inhabitants, 214.74 km²)
Olivier Touzeau, 28 May 2020

Aumond was established in 1843 by the Joseph-Ignace Aumond (1810-1879), the only French-speaker among the "barons" who controlled that industry in Gatineau. Aumond founded the Ottawa Lumber Association with John Egan. The first mass was celebrated in 1850 in Rivière-Joseph, where the parish of Sainte-Famille-d'Aumond was erected in 1861. A chapel was erected in 1870, the year of establishment of a mission by the Oblates, which would be active until 1927.

The municipality of Aumond was established in 1877.
Aumond was also known as Moulin des Pères (Fathers' Mill), after the sawmill built in 1861 by the Oblates. Together with the flour mill built in 1868, the sawmill was powered by energy generated by a barrage established on river Joseph; the barrage also supplied the village with electricity, starting in 1927.

The sawmill that was operated until the 1990s was dismantled in 1998. The restored building and the site form Aumond's landmark, featured on the municipal logo.
Municipal website
Biography of Joseph-Ignace Aumond, Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Vol. 10

Ivan Sache, 29 May 2020

The flag

Pictures of the flags at Parc Vallée-de-la-Gatineau Maniwaki:
(photo published and probably taken in 2019) (photo dated 2012)

Flag at Parc Vallée-de-la-Gatineau in 2012: vertical triband 1:4:1 R-/W/R- with monochrome former emblem in R- at the centre of the white panel.
Flag spotted in Aumond town hall, 2018 (
and at Parc Vallée-de-la-Gatineau in 2019: white flag with logo
Olivier Touzeau, 28 May 2020

Earlier flag

[Aumond] image by Olivier Touzeau, 28 May 2020