Last modified: 2021-09-18 by rob raeside
Keywords: la malbaie | ville de la malbaie | quebec | eagle | fleur-de-lis: 3 |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Ville de La Malbaie (Charlevoix-Est, 1957-1995). A 2:3 green and white Canadian pale with the coat of arms and name of the city. Observed in the Summer of 1999.
It seems that the merged municipalities of La Malbaie and Pointe-au-Pic kept using their former flags. I
believe the eagle on the shield stands for Cap-à-l'Aigle, located in the
Luc Baronian, 6 May 2005
The Town of La Malbaie (9,177 inhabitants in 2006; 471 sq. km) is located in
MRC Charlevoix, Region Capitale-Nationale.
The domain of La Malbaie was granted on 21 December 1653 to Jean Bourdon, a powerful member of the French colony and owner of four other domains. In 1667, Bourdon had not care yet of settling La Malbaie, which was reincorporated to the Royal domain. The domain was eventually granted on 7 November 1672 to Philippe Gaultier de Comporté (1641-1687). On 15 October 1687, short before his death, Comporté sold the domain to François Hazeur (d. 1708) and Pierre Soumande (d. 1700). The two associated built two sawmills to exploit timber from the neighbouring forests; success was limited because of the low quality of the wood, the cost of shipment to France, floods and English raids. On 29 October 1724, Hazeur's sons sold the domain to the King of France. The new appointed manager, François Cugnet, increased the estate and boosted its development. La Malbaie was established as a Village on 18 March 1896, seceding from the Municipality of Saint-Étienne-de-la-Malbaie. La Malbaie was proclaimed a Town on 23 January 1958. The "new" Town of La Malbaie was formed on 1 December 1999 by the merging of the Town of La Malbaie-Pointe-au-Pic (itself formed on 1 February 1995 by the merging of the Town of La Malbaie and of the Village of Pointe-au-Pic), of the Municipality of Rivière-Malbaie, of the Municipality of Saint-Fidèle, of the Village of Cap-à-l'Aigle and of the Parish of Sainte-Agnès.
- http://www.ville.lamalbaie.qc.ca/fr/lamalbaie_presentation/histoire/esquisse.html - Municipal website
The arms of La Malbaie are "Azure an eagle or membered gules standing on two mounds sable, the base vert, the chief gules three fleurs-de-lis or. The shield supported by two branches of maple vert, slipped and botonny or, crossed per saltire and tied by a ribbon gules, holding a scroll inscribed in Gothic letters 'In Fide Plantati et Radicati' ".
The fleurs-de-lis recall the French origin of the pioneers and of the local population. The eagle forbids anyone to moor in the bay (La Malbaie, originally "male baie", the bad bay, was not very suitable for navigation, as reported by Samuel de Champlain in 1626). The eagle also represents the force and the courage of the town, as a regional center. The mountains represent the location of La Malbaie on the sea shore and close to the Laurentian mountains. The maple leaves are the official emblem of Canada. The Latin motto, "Planted and Rooted in Faith", recalls the faith of the pioneers and of the local population.
- http://www.ville.lamalbaie.qc.ca/fr/lamalbaie_presentation/histoire/embleme.html - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 23 July 2012
image by Olivier Touzeau, 17 April 2020
The flag can be seen flying at
The current flag is 1:2 and with English script letters.
Olivier Touzeau, 17 April 2020
image by Masao Okazaki, 11 August 2021
Photos of this logo flag were posted in the FOTW Facebook group by Luc Vartan
The status of this flag is unclear, as the heraldic Canadian Pale flag shown on the FOTW page is also still being used, as seen in this June 2021 photo: https://www.facebook.com/villelamalbaie/photos/a.258187211216687/1392813824420681
But a flag is a flag!
Masao Okazaki, 11 August 2021