This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hudson's Hope, British Columbia (Canada)

Peace River Regional District

Last modified: 2019-08-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: british columbia | hudsons hope | hadrosaur footprint |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[flag of Hudson's Hope] image by Masao Okazaki, 23 June 2019

See also:

Description of the flag

A new flag shows two curved white narrow stripes crossing each other, dividing the flag into four fields, green, yellow, light blue and dark blue. In the bottom light blue field is written the name and slogan.

An image of this new flag was posted by Valentin Poposki and was probably found on this Twitter post: The logo dates back to 2013, but I don't know when it first appeared on a flag.

Mayor Gwen Johannsson and Council are pleased to announce that a new logo and tagline have been adopted for Hudson's Hope. The District Council of Hudson's Hope embarked on a branding process in 2012, to modernize its brand and address the following objectives:
• Local and regional recognition as a recreational tourism destination.
• Inclusion as one of the legs of the Alaska Highway journey.
• To bring families to live in this safe, affordable community (linked to the major industrial projects in the area).
• To drive business interest including cottage retail and permanent professionals.
• To pull a disconnected community together.

The process involved considerable discussion and review of options by Council and staff. Numerous suggestions were provided by the public and some of those suggestions led to the final design that was adopted. The new tagline "Playground of the Peace" was previously utilized by the District and very much reflects how we are perceived by residents in the region. The new logo incorporates colours that are representative of the visual attributes of our environment.

The logo and tagline are being incorporated in external correspondence and will soon feature predominantly on our website and Facebook account. Over the coming months, several municipal vehicles will feature the new design and promotional materials will be updated. There are no plans to change the Welcome signs to the District. Council wanted to ensure that the hard work and effort that went into the former logo was recognized and that logo, and its predecessors, will be prominently displayed in the District office.
Masao Okazaki, 5 July 2019

Previous flag

[flag of Hudson's Hope] image by Jodi Ryan MacLean
adapted by António Martins-Tuválkin, 14 March 2006
Source: Wikipedia

The flag of the District Municipality of Hudson's Hope in British Columbia, Canada, is shown in Wikipedia

For the Crest and flag:

The shield in the crest is shaped like the footprint of the Hadrosaur which were once common in the area. The crest and flag were designed by a town councillor, Sam Kosolowsky, in the early-1990s. The original slogan on the crest and flag was "Playground of the Peace" but has since changed to "Land of Dinosaurs and Dams".

About the Hudson's Hope:

After Alexander Mackenzie portaged through the area in 1793, Simon Fraser, on behalf of the North West Company, established the Rocky Mountain Portage Fort in 1805. This fort, used as a fur-trading post and rest-stop, was on the north bank of the Peace River, several miles from the current townsite. After the North West Company and Hudson's Bay Company coalition in 1821, the Hudson's Bay Company took control of the fort. However, it was soon abandoned in 1823 after a massacre in Fort St. John. Over fifty years later, in 1875, the fort was re-established by the Hudson's Bay Company twelve miles upstream on southern river bank. A couple years later the fort was moved again. This time it was moved to the present townsite, on the northern river bank. During the nineteenth century, the fort was home to only a few people, but when European or Canadian fur-traders came through the area the Aboriginal people would set up encampments around the fort.

Like elsewhere in B.C.'s Peace River region a wave of settlers came to the region after 1908 when the Federal government opened the Peace River Block mineral staking and in 1912 to homestead claims. The agricultural communities of Beryl Prairie and Lynx Creek were established from these claims. Coal started to be mined in 1923 but its transportation was by ship to a railway was very expensive. However, the construction of the Alaska Highway in 1942 created a local demand for the coal. When Hudson’s Hope became connected to the highway system, its vast resources became accessible to outside markets.

One of these resources was hydroelectric energy. The provincial government planned and constructed the W. A. C. Bennett Dam throughout the 1960s. The Hudson's Hope Improvement District was incorporated in 1962 to help finance the project. The District Municipality of Hudson's Hope was incorporated in 1965, with a population of 2,700 people, in order to organize and plan settlements for the thousands of workers and their families. When construction was completed in 1967, the two incorporated areas merged.

The dam went online in 1968 after filling its reservoir and the population declined as the dam required less maintenance. The construction of the Peace Canyon Dam, only several kilometers downstream from the Bennett Dam, was constructed very rapidly in the late-1970s and provided a small boost to the town. However, the town continued to lose population throughout the 1980s. Its isolated location never let the town escape its dependence on BC Hydro as the one major employer.

The population level hit a low in 1990 at 1,005 people, but started climbing afterwards. This new growth emanates from two sources: retirees with fond memories of working on the Bennett dam, and families who value the extensive outdoor recreational opportunities in the small isolated town.

Valentin Poposki, 9 March 2006